2018 was full of ups and downs, challenges and successes, surprises and disappointments, sad and joyous moments, and the occasional overwhelm.
I’ve not really had any goals or plans that I stuck to. I let most things evolve spontaneously, went with the flow and listened to my intuition.
My highlights from 2018:
- Seeing my clients getting more confident in speaking and understanding German or Hungarian, making connections with foreign colleagues and partners and enjoying the whole learning experience.
- Setting the foundations for ProLingua Global, my dream project that’s all about helping UK businesses thrive in a global world.
- Seeing my mum’s garden in full bloom and enjoying the sweetest cherries ever my dad’s so carefully grown.
- Climbing the O2 with friends – in snow fall and wind.
- Becoming a published author: My Camino Walk #1 is a collection of stories by pilgrims who’ve walked the ancient pilgrimage route called El Camino de Santiago in Northern Spain.
- Starting a new podcast channel, interviewing some truly fantastic people who’ve learnt foreign languages and use them for work.
- Being interviewed on Women’s Radio Station by the wonderful internationally recognised marketer Timea Kadar in her series Women Talking Business.
- Another interview on the My Camino Podcast by Dan Mullins.
- Seeing the legendary David Crystal talking about accent and pronunciation at the British Library, and then spending some quality time with clients and friends at the German Gymnasium.
- Attending a brilliant talk by an anthropologist whose work I admire: Wade Davis: Why ancient wisdom matters in the modern world.
- Organising and hosting Language Professionals’ Networking Event and meeting so many wonderful colleagues and like-minded people at these regular monthly gatherings.
- Raising money for Moorfields Eye Charity.
- Looking after our friend’s cat and learning a lot about cat behaviour.
- Supporting my husband with his business, a funky hair and beauty salon in the heart of London and being nominated for Top Choice awards, an audience award and one of the biggest endorsements a business can receive. I met loads of wonderful beauty professionals at interviews, and we celebrated every single customer feedback we received with our colleagues.
- Seeing the legend Judith Kerr at the British Library, and listening to her speaking about how she and her family escaped Nazi Germany and how she found a new home here in Britain, becoming an artist and children’s story teller.
- Seeing our families for Christmas, and having some thought-provoking conversations with them.
- Enjoying some delicious wines and steaks and quality time with my husband throughout 2018.
Earlier in the year, a tragedy has shaken the family when a young, beautiful soul has passed in a tragic accident. The experience has had a profound impact on how we see life and has also given us many precious moments of meaningful conversations.
On the last day of the year, I’m struck with a sense of awe for my father who battles with sever eye sight problems, doesn’t give up and works as hard as ever. My mother who’s doing her best to assist her husband in going through this transformational time.
I’m also incredibly proud of my husband Viktor who is an inspiring leader, thinker and doer, unstoppable at #buildingahumanbusiness, creating a working environment where ambitious beauty professionals can thrive and feel appreciated.
Books I’ve read / listened to this year and had a great impact on me:
- The power of habit by Charles Duhigg
- The ascent of money by Niall Ferguson
- The Wayfinders: Why Ancient Wisdom Matters in the modern World by Wade Davis
- Principles by Ray Dalio
- Originals by Adam Grant
- The story of English by Joseph Piercy
Favourite movies, films, documentaries, series:
- Medici. Masters of Florence
- Mr Selfridge
- The Crown
- Cloud Atlas
- Dirty Money
- The big short
- Banking on Bitcoin
- The story of God
- Pawn Sacrifice
- The code
- World War II in colour
- Operation Finale
- Chef’s Table
Thank you very much for reading, I hope you’ll find something valuable for yourself in the list. Wishing you a fantastic 2019.